Most people think that beds come in three basic sizes: twin, queen, and king. The truth is, there are at least six different standard sized beds for you to choose from. When deciding what mattress size would best suit your needs there are a few things to keep in mind: your sleeping style, single or couple, and room dimensions are a few considerations to start with. Are you looking for a mattress for a single person or as a couple? Do you toss and turn, or does your partner? How big or small is the room where the bed is going? Once you have a good idea of what you are looking for, it’s time to go shopping.
Here is a list of the six standard size mattresses available:
- Twin: 39 inches wide x 75 inches long. A twin is best for children or adults who are small or do not require extra space.
- Twin XL: 39 inches wide x 80 inches long. This size is most commonly found in dorm rooms and is also a great option for a taller individual who is looking to keep their feet from hanging off of the end of the bed.
- Full: 54 inches wide x 75 inches long. Also called a double bed, this size is great for one person looking for a bed with extra space but can still fit in a smaller room. This size will also accommodate two people who do not mind sleeping close together.
- Queen: 60 inches wide x 80 inches long. The queen sized bed is the most commonly purchased size. It will fit in most bedrooms and leaves lots of extra space for an individual to toss and turn. A couple can also sleep comfortably with room to roll around.
- King: 76 inches wide x 80 inches long. A king-sized bed is a great option for a couple where each person likes their own space at night. All of that extra space leaves room for children and/or furry friends to jump in and join while not squishing anyone. A larger bedroom is needed to accommodate the larger size of a king. A low-cost option is to push two twin-sized mattresses together on a king bed frame. The downfall of this option is there will be a slight gap where the mattresses come together.
- California King: 72 inches wide x 84 inches long. A slightly shorter and squatter version of its original cousin, the king. This size bed boasts the same benefits as a regular king, only with a four-inch difference in width. What it lacks in width it makes up for in length, making the California king a great option for a tall individual.
Remember that no matter what size you choose, proper bedroom positioning can have a big impact. If a couple of sharing the bed, 2-3 feet of perimeter space on either side of the bed will typically be enough to make each side easily accessible for each partner. For smaller beds that only one person needs to climb into, positioning the bed in a corner leaving only one side available for access will probably be sufficient. Each bedroom area is as unique as its occupants, so take some time to create your perfect, comfortable space. With so many options out there, you should not have any problem finding the optimum sized mattress to lull you and your family into a spacious and comfortable night’s sleep.
An insight to mattress sizes
When you’re for beds one needs to keep a tape on the mattress dimension to appropriate its size. There are some things that the consumers have to keep in mind. For instance the number of people who are going to sleep on it, the height factor and also the area of the bedroom in which it has to fit. The commonly heard mattresses range from twin to the king sizes, being completely ignorant of the full size mattresses which also exists. There are various size options available for the consumer to choose from. In fact the depth of the mattress ranges from 6 to 18 inches.
The regular twin size mattresses are already there: Twin XL which gets an extra 4 inches in length and the full size mattresses which gets an extra 5 inches in length. These mattress sets usually come with full size bed frame. This is quite an attractive offer for the consumers. Most people do not have any purpose of the additional length given to them. It is highly beneficial for the tall ones who can now prevent their legs from suspending over the edges. After the full size mattress dimensions the sizes keep getting larger and larger.
One can get hold of a regular queen size mattress which is quite popular and severely demanded especially when more than one individual is sleeping on it. However there is another dimension for queen size mattress called the Olympic queen. It gives away 6 inches extra in the breadth region along with the normal 60 inches dimension. California queen is another type of mattress which is queen size. It is water bed covered in wood. There are high possibilities of you not getting hold of such kinds of mattresses because they are pretty old fashioned. It has a standard 60 inches breadth with an addition of 4 inches in length.
If you go shopping you would figure amount that there are various mattresses available of different prices. Some are reasonable while others appear to be pricey. The larger the size of the mattress, the greater is the price. The mattress sizes don’t really have an end. There is the king size mattress too. However it can only happen to you if you are lucky enough to accommodate it in your bedroom.
There is also the regular king-size with an amazing dimension of 76*80 inches. Moreover if this size too fails to meet your demands then you can look out for larger mattress sizes. You also have the California king size bed, though it would be narrower than the rest yet lengthwise it is pretty good. Lastly there is a Grand king size which has an outstanding dimension of 80*98 inches. However you have to be extremely careful in terms of choosing the appropriate bed sheet if you end up purchasing this mattress. The only problem with this kind of grand king size mattresses is that you have to spend more for the bigger bed sheets.